|Rotary Club of Mechanicsburg|
Meets each Wednesday at 7:15 AM
Club Contact: info@MechRotary.org
Current Meeting Information
Programs for October 2014
“Vocational Service" Month
Temporary URL for new club web site: portal.clubrunner.ca/10918
fan on Facebook
Mike McConahy Inducted as
Pictured above (left to right): Michael C. McConahy (Mike), new member; Chuck Eberly, sponsor and club president; and John Petrie, Past Secretary, who performed the induction. Mike has been assigned the classification of Investment Officer. He is an investment officer for Wells Fargo Advisors in Lemoyne. Mike lives in Mechanicsburg with his wife Lindsey Welcome to the Rotary Club of Mechanicsburg.
Club Provides Support
Pictured above community members of the Cumberland Point apartment complex in Mechanicsburg along with three Mechanicsburg Rotary Club members - Darrell Westby, John Petrie, and Chuck Eberly. They are in front of a basketball rim just after it was installed by the club members. The Rotary Club recently applied for and received a District 7390 matching grant to improve the athletic facilities and equipment in the housing area. Over 60% (and rising) of its resident are refugees from Somali, while the other 40% are mostly low-income families who have moved from Harrisburg. The club partnered with A.R.O.M.A Missions of Messiah College who made known the need and help develop the grant proposal. The grant also provided for two portable soccer goals, three (total) replacement basketball rims, soccer uniforms, and soccer league referee fees for 8 games.
Pictured above are the soccer team members in their new Rotary Club provided shirts along with two Mechanicsburg Rotary Club members - Bob Brown and Patrick Wolfkill.
Club Sanitation Project in El Salvador
Pictured at left is one of seven composting toilets which has been completed in November in the community of Metalillito in El Salvador.
The Rotary Club of Mechanicsburg had been seeking a way to start this project since the fall of 2011 when our water well drilling team let by Frank Ulrich and John Petrie learned of this community's need. The team had observed the need for better sanitation in general and was looking for a way to help when they were led to the community of Metalillito. This community understood the need and had organized to seek solutions and welcomed the club's involvement. Since that time, the club's water/sanitation committee had sought a way to make it happen.
Finally, new club member, Don Seiple, led us to Salvadorian architectural engineer, Ricardo Barrera, who helped us really get going. The identified need is for 180 additional composting toilets to serve a community of about 3,000 people. We were seeking a Rotary Foundation Global Grant, but in the meantime using funds contributed to the club's charitable fund at the Mechanicsburg Area Foundation, Ricardo designed and supervised the construction of seven composting toilets. This enabled us to validate the design, determine the material list, and calculate the estimated construction cost.
A Global Grant requires a partnership with a Rotary Club in the host country, and we have developed a working relationship with the Rotary Club San Salvador Noroeste in El Salvador. We jointly completed the application for a Global Grant in early May 2014. It was accepted by our Rotary District 7390 and the Noroeste Club's District 4240. It is currently (as of May 15) at the Rotary Foundation awaiting their approval. The total Global Grant request is $123,888 for 180 units. Our club will need to contribute $35,400 of which we have raised over $31,800 as of the end of April. This will be matched by $35,400 from Rotary District 7390 and the remainder will come from the Rotary Foundation. Everyone is ready to proceed with the project as soon as the funds are made available.
Club Receives Report on
Pictured above are members of the community with their maze (corn) crop in Uganda that the Rotary Club of Mechanicsburg is helping by providing funds to support a unique micro-loan system. On November 13, Andy Agaba, the Founder & President of Hiinga updated the club on the progress of the project. Andy grew up in Uganda and attended college in Pennsylvania. He has felt a calling to find a way to help the people he grew up with find a better way to achieve economic success. Hiinga grew out of that call and vision. Hiinga not only makes loans, it teaches better farming techniques for better yields and higher quality, and organizes the farmers for marketing purposes. More info can be found at the Hiinga web site www.hiinga.org.
Rotary Club of
Information about prior completed projects can be found by following the below links:
Please email us your feedback.